My Brilliant Friend By Elena Ferrante

 

My Brilliant Friend

By Elena Ferrante

The first book in the Neapolitan Quartet. This begins the story of Elena and Lila as they grow up on the streets of Naples, where the two become friends as little girls in the 1950s amidst a world that is changing.

Elena idolizes Lila and looks up to her, even though she knows Lila is sometimes mean. Yet, the girl is sure of herself and everyone admires her, despite the fact that Elena outdoes her in educational attainment and (as she cites) her maturing faster than Lila.

The story is a coming of age that is full of misogyny and competition, where the girls both help each other to get along and work against each other in little ways that force them to better themselves.

We learn about the several families in their circle, as well as the importance of how you look to others. As neighbors do, they gossip and talk behind each others' backs, but they also help each other when necessary.

I can't say I loved it, but I'm curious to see where the story goes form here. I think It's a 3.5 star book for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog