A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara


A Little Life

by Hanya Yanagihara

This is a beautifully written and thoughtful exploration of friendship, love, and loss, and how the trauma of youth never really leaves you.

I'm unsure why the author has received so much backlash for the writing of this story, which I see myself reflected in so much. Never did I feel manipulated into feeling a particular way; isn't that what fiction writing is supposed to do anyway?

There is also the matter of readers having such strong reactions to this book, some having cried and others revulsed by the graphic depictions of violence. In full disclosure, I only felt visceral reactions twice while reading A Little Life: the first with the scene of violence with Caleb, which I admit was difficult to get through; the second the end of the story where we find out what happened to Jude, but more than what happened to him, Harold's feelings about it, especially on the last two pages.

I felt deeply in touch with this book, as if my own experience of life and living was reflected on the pages. Life is very hard for some of us, and living it costs us so much. I identified wholly with Jude: how he felt about himself and how he tried to get through it all, never fully able to put his past behind him. It is a moving novel and I'm glad I read it.

That said, I don't truly understand how readers have had such strong reactions overall to the book. I've watched some reading vlogs where people were in tears and crying hard over what they've read. The depictions in the story never got me even close to the point of crying. I never once felt the violence was too much. Maybe this just confirms for me that I am the sociopath I've always thought I am.

This book is 5 stars for me. It deserves all of the positive accolades it has received.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog