Searching for Marilyn Monroe: Parables and Other Animals by Pae Veo

 

Searching for Marilyn Monroe: Parables and Other Animals

by Pae Veo

My BookTube friend Pae Veo was kind enough to send me a signed copy of his book a few weeks ago. After much anticipation, it finally arrived!

This is a collection of stories and parables that explore hope and loss of hope, imagination, isolation, failure, addiction, and moral dilemmas. It is a creative exploration of the modern condition.

Two of the stories in the first section were standouts for me: "Searching for Marilyn Monroe" and "The Song of Erebus." "Searching" asks, "Is there room for hope in life?" and, "The only ones who ever truly give up are the ones who never had anything, in which case, what is it they are giving up? It is not giving up, it is simply accepting." Both of these sentiments resonated with me and my own journey through life.

"The Song of Erebus" had a strong religious vibe for me as a reader, and I identified with it on that level - the idea that when we lose our morality, what is left to replace it but the things we are attracted or attached to that don't really serve us in the same way.

Other standouts for me were "The Poplar Tree," "The Prison," and "The Painter" in the section titles Parables.

I give Searching for Marilyn Monroe 4 stars. I think it requires and deserves several re-reads, as each would illuminate the texts even more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog